Tuesday, May 8, 2012

San Diego Zoo


T'was my first time exploring SD Zoo. San Diego Zoo has really set the standards high when it comes to having a wide diversity of animal exhibits. I don't think any other zoos can ever live up to my expectations. I am still blown by being able to meet the variety of critically endangered species in one place in this environmental ticking time clock we have with nature due to the ever increasing pressures of anthropogenic forces. Though there are endless controversies and distaste for animals being kept in captivity, zoos give can be a mind-opening experience.
You know you at the zoo when you are greeted by this fancy fella.

"Is your mama a llama?"
Little kids watching the not-so-hungry hippos sleep.
Lazy ass hippos... 


We even got to ride the hippos. Meet my roommate Jean.
This was my favorite exhibit! The Polar Bears were so lively and playful.

 One polar bear teased the other one with a log.

My fellow Geographers! Imagine how life would be with the Saber-tooth tiger. Goodbye cars? (i kid)
We met the Asian elephant. I wonder if she knows she has grass sprinkled on her head?
Oh em gee..it's the African Elephant! You can tell by its huge African-continent shaped ears and wrinkly skin compared to the Asian Elephant.
For those of you making fun of my Viet name since the day I was born, I finally met my close relative, the "North American Dung Beetle"  -_--
Ah yes, this is a...red flower thingy on a bare naked tree mabob..
Sleepy Jaguar...
Love the scales on this tree.
A very anti-climatic and anti-social meet and greet with the Panda.





I must confess...I am extremely afraid of cockroaches mainly because these things are indestructible and dwell in nasty crevices. :( BUT, I learned that they are actually extremely clean and have powerful saliva to break down bacteria and tend groom to stay sanitized after feasting on crap. This is why the hissing roaches make perfect reality TV show foods. Not bad, but I still wouldnt touch or eat one.
Giraffes are awesome for having insects and bacteria repellent skins!
This zebra is so badass, he doesn't need black stripes. This guy really reminds me of the fruity zebra bubblegum with temporary tattoos on the wrappers.
Neck Cramps anyone?

So surreal! So regal & boss at the same time! 

Just when we lost hope trying to find the Tiger in its den, the trainers released the Tiger in time for feeding time.
This statue is tribute to the critically endangered Mountain Gorillas that once lived here.

No comments:

Post a Comment